This calendar of saints is drawn from several denominations, sects, and traditions. Although it will no longer be updated daily, the index on the right will guide visitors to a saint celebrated on any day they choose. Additional saints will be added as they present themselves to Major.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1 - Feast of Bl. John Baptist Scalabrini



Last year, I made mention of this feast in connection with Brian Scalabrine. Of course, last year he played for the Celtics, so I was pandering to my homeboys. This year, Scal's with the Bulls, but even in that I can find a comparison. A tenuous one, I'll grant, but enough to amuse me. (Yeah, I amuse that easily.)

Blessed John was especially sympathetic to the migrants of Italy who had been dislocated by the market. He organized relief for the poor during a cholera outbreak; he even sold his horse, chalice, and the pectoral cross given to him by Pope Pius IX to buy food.

Scal is probably also sympathetic to migrants, having started with the New Jersey Nets, then gone to Boston, and now plays in Chicago. Although I don't know of any particularly charitable acts, he has had six games in which he hit his career-high five assists. Okay, so he's no Scott Skiles (30! and yes, I looked it up), but I had to come up with something.

Okay, now I'm going to stretch to a nearly blasphemous level. Blessed John's last words were: “Lord, I am ready, Let us go." Scal is many years from his last basketball words, let alone last words on earth, but here's a recent quote: "To give my coach and management full support, I can never question their individual motives towards me ... If Tom [Coach Thibodeau] wants to play me, I have to agree with him. If he doesn't play me, I have to agree he's doing the best thing for his team."

Which is closer to the spirit of "Thy will be done?"

Point: Scal.

No comments:

Post a Comment